Heat's visit- Appalachian trail & Antietam battlefield

Sunday March 23

Sunday was rather boring as we just stuck to our usual habits of the day. We went to church, watched some NCAA and then finally I made the boys come with me on a little hike up part of the Appalachian trail.
It was a little chilly so it didn't last too long, maybe only a mile or so up and then we turned and came back down.



Since Saturday was Nate's 29 birthday, we also took cake and ice cream to our friend's house to watch The Amazing Race (but I didn't get any pictures)

Monday March 24
Monday was a busy day for us, Spencer had a doctor appointment (and more shots which I HATE) and then Nate had to go up to Chambersburg for an interview. Heaton was probably way bored all morning but luckily we got done early enough in the afternoon that we squeezed in a trip down to Antietam battlefield. Nate and I had never been but we had heard good things about it. We didn't know what to expect but it ended up being a really neat place and I enjoyed learning about it.

this was looking out over the main battlefield.

a hand sewn flag.

this tower was on the driving tour and I had sore thighs for days from running up it.



this bridge played a major role in the battle.

this tree was alive during the battle



The battle of Antietam was the bloodiest day of the civil war and if I remember correctly I believe it was also the bloodiest day in american military history. 

Afterward we stopped and ate a delicious sushi dinner and then got the world famous Krumpe's Do-nuts. Heaton didn't believe me when I said they were the best donuts, he doesn't like donuts and I'm not the biggest fan but these are different. I tried to tell him he would like these. He didn't believe me, and then came home and promptly ate 3 of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment