We have the best neighbors.

     This week was the first week since we have been here that it has actually been HOT! It hadn't been above 90 the whole time we've been here so we didn't mind too much the humidity or not having ac.
     Well that changed this week! It was hotter than hot! I believe it hit 98 everyday this week! And the humidity just makes everything/everyone sticky ALL the time. Getting out of the shower is the worst...I hate to put clothes on because I could never completely dry off so they were such a pain to try to wrestle on my body (probably didn't help that they are all getting nice and tight).
     Until now we had been surviving with just 2 fans going all the time and of course opening doors/windows when it cooled off in the evening. Well we almost hit our breaking point when the coolest it got every night was 86 degrees! We couldn't even sleep with a sheet it was so hot! We even took a drive the other night just so we could enjoy the ac in the car:)
     Allow me to digress for a moment, we live in a very old building (we still debate if it was at one point a house) that has 6 apartments, 2 on each story. We are lucky to live on the bottom floor I think. We have heard and seen signs of neighbors, but only ever met the ones right next to us. The man is a skinny little man, probably late 40's-early 50's but smokes so that may make him look older. Has a long beard and tattoos. He is always wearing a cut off t shirt and short. He introduced himself as Steve but the landlord called him Michael, and his live in girlfriend calls him Possum or Possum Steve (he has signs in all his doors/windows that say 'Possum crossing' or something). I think we are going to just start calling him Possum as well:) He has been battling cancer for a few years now but seems to be doing well lately. The girlfriends name is Donna and they have a dog named Pooh (I think?). Anyway, when we first moved in Possum came right over to introduce himself and ask if he could do anything for us. He is just the nicest guy and every time we see him asks if we need anything or if he can help us at all.
     Ok, back to why they are the greatest neighbors, besides the fact that they have been the only friendly ones to us and are constantly wanting to help us, I ran into Donna taking the dog out on Monday and talked to her for quite a while about some recent building issues (which is another topic that someday I will make public). Anyway, we had a good conversation and I happened to mention being pregnant and then never thought about it again.
    Well the next day there was a knock on the door and it was Donna and Pooh. She said they had an extra window ac unit that if we wanted, we could have. I of course didn't want to seem desperate but told her if they really didn't need it we would gladly accept. She said just to send Nate over to get it anytime. Well the next thing I know Possum is at my back door with the ac unit! He said he didn't want to make me have to wait and be hotter longer than necessary. The thing was really heavy too, I felt bad he had to carry it over but I thought that was so nice of them! He also kept calling me dear which I thought was cute. And he told us to come sit out on their makeshift patio anytime we want, we will definitely be taking them up on that! We have LOVED having the ac unit and it is definitely more enjoyable to be at home now.
     I just think they are the kindest people! They clearly don't have a lot and just the fact that they are always asking if they can do anything for us shows how good of people they are! I plan on taking them some cookies or something in the next few days, not like that is even half the payback they deserve!

No comments:

Post a Comment