Church ball.

Nate's been playing basketball with the elders quorum for a few weeks now.
I don't think any of them have ever actually played competitive basketball, they aren't very good.
The only games the team have won are due to forfeit.
Nate's done surprisingly well for never having played either.
Today they played exceptionally well though.
Nate was the leading rebounder (and free throw air baller ;).
But I was impressed with him, he has really improved in the few weeks he's been playing.
However, this is not to brag about Nate.
The other team wasn't much better and didn't have much in the way of height.
They had 1 guy who had clearly played competitive basketball, probably even in junior college or something too.
He was the only guy not wearing a shirt under his jersey, to show off his muscles.
He was intense. Too intense for my liking. He was taking this game waaay too seriously and showing off way too much.
I love a good competitive basketball game, but this guy was driving me nuts. At times I was tempted to yell out "this isn't the NBA!" But his wife was sitting right behind me.
He also had to complain to the ref every time something was called against him.
Nate's team actually played a decent game, they were ahead for quite a while but fell apart in the 4th quarter and lost by 9.
But I just couldn't get over the dude! He was ridiculous, trying to press by himself, plowing over guys a good foot and a half shorter than him, taking the ball all the way to the hoop by himself, shooting a 3 every chance he got, it was just one thing after another.
I'm not even sure if he sat out more than 5 minutes.
Id he wasn't so tall I'd have thought he had small man syndrome.
I thought church ball was supposed to be fun, but this was just obnoxious both to the players and the audience.
Some people just have to be the center of attention.
Maybe he was worried people wouldn't notice how good he was?
Don't worry buddy, we ALL saw you.

No comments:

Post a Comment